Wednesday 7 August 2013

"It starts with food" - The Whole30 Programme



The Whole 30 Programme


This is going to be a quickie but I had to tell you about my experience on the Whole30 programme. See video below for more but here's a quick synopsis.

Just over a month ago one of my PT clients asked me to review a book for her. She said that she was thinking of going on this programme and wanted my opinion. She had already outlined some things about the book but told me to keep an 'open' mind. It's a good thing she said that because immediately my defences went up when she told me about omitting whole food groups but I decided to keep an open mind and read the whole book. 

Not only that but I went a step further. I decided to go on the diet myself and see if all the claims to restored health were true. Actually, I must admit as I was reading the book I saw the sense in what it was saying, so I was already convinced that this type of diet will have the effects on the body that it suggests as it's based on having NO processed food whatsoever. Not even whole grains (believe it or not these foods are processed as you can't eat a grain as it is without processing it) but only vegetables, fruits, protein and good fats.

The book itself mentions not to just go by the stats but be your own experiment. Now I wouldn't normally do this with any old book but I have to admit the food stuffs that it recommends and the explanations and science to back it up was pretty impressive.

They purport that the sugar, salt and additives that are added to foods in such excess make them into 'Frankenfoods', foods with exaggerated tastes not found in nature, so that we become addicted and have an insatiable appetite for them. They contain little nutritional value, over-stimulate our hormones, cause inflammatory responses and throw everything into disarray so that eventually we become sick or at least not very healthy. Our brains are triggered by exaggerated flavours and we eat without brakes because the foods we eat contain ingredients that cause us to eat constantly without realising that we are full. Of course this is having a terrible impact on health. On the Whloe30 people have reported being healed of diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure, insulin resistance, cholesterol, arthritis, asthma and eczema. Not to mention overcoming sugar addiction and tiredness.

My report is that I feel amazing. From the moment I started I felt the difference. It has completely changed my view of how I eat, although I was relatively healthy before. For one I got over a sugar and carb addiction that we all probably have to some degree without knowing it. By replacing all my starchy carbs with veggies and salad, I got to eat more veg in one month than I have done in one year. I haven't been hungry because I have been eating as much veg and meat as I like. Sometimes the plate has been too full and I can't finish it!

I feel fuller for longer but without the bloating. My skin is clearer. I no longer have puffy eyes in the morning and a puffy face from eating rice and pasta. I don't have any digestion problems. I have lost weight and more specifically lost inches from my tummy which was always a problem area.

My summary is this: if you need an overhaul to reset your system after years of unhealthy eating or even just moderately unhealthy eating (because no matter how healthy we think we are there is always room for improvements) then you may benefit from this. It is not as drastic as some diets and only lasts 30 days, unless you want to make it into a lifestyle, which they highly recommend. The only food groups you leave out are the ones that are not doing you any favours in the first place. You eat plenty of the good stuff and if done correctly should have lots of energy all day and not feel hungry.

I found aches and pains disappeared. I slept better and feel alive and bouncy. My face has become defined and waist line dropped a dress size. What more could I want?

Now I'm not trying to plug someone else's book (although effectively I am) but I can't deny how good this has made me feel. I was feeling sluggish and uninspired now I feel healthy and alive without feeling hungry or deprived. 

So watch the video at me harping on about it and excuse the delay in the sound! 

Hugs x



Always seek medical advice before embarking on a programme like the above.



No comments:

Post a Comment